Poughkeepsie Day School employs a diverse, talented and enthusiastic faculty, administration and staff. Job openings are posted as they become available.
Chorus Director (Part-time)
Poughkeepsie Day School seeks a part-time chorus director to build a vocal ensemble program. The ideal candidate will have experience working with a wide age range and be able to accompany the ensemble on piano during rehearsals.
Enthusiasm for music and ambition to develop and grow the program a must.
B.A. required. M.A. preferred.
Math Teacher (grades 6–12)
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking a full-time math teacher for grades 6–12. The ideal candidate will have experience and commitment to student-centered, active learning and be able to teach math over the entire range of the 6–12 curriculum, from algebra through calculus. The position also serves as an advisor. Our program offers teachers the ability to work in a highly collaborative, multidisciplinary environment.
Previous teaching experience required. Experience in an independent school setting preferred. Previous advisory experience preferred.
B.A. required. M.A. preferred.
High School Science Teacher (full-time)
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking a full-time science teacher for grades 9–12.
Candidates must be able to teach chemistry courses, with the ability to teach additional science subjects and upper middle school grades as needed. Candidates should have experience in use of emerging technologies to enhance learning and student engagement. The position requires a creative and constructivist approach and experience with creating active and interactive learning and engaging students with science. The position also serves as a student advisor.
B.A. required; M.A. preferred. Previous experience teaching in a school setting required; experience in an independent school preferred.
Theater Director/Drama Teacher(full-time); Drama Teacher (part-time)
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking a full-time theater director/drama teacher and a part-time drama teacher.
The successful candidates will have experience working with a wide age range and be able to teach drama and theater classes as well as direct student productions.
Both positions work within an interdisciplinary program in a collaborative environment. Technical theater knowledge is helpful.
B.A. required. M.A. preferred. Previous experience in a school setting required. Experience in independent school preferred.
Communications / Marketing Coordinator
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking an early career communications professional to become a member of the school’s Advancement Team. The ideal candidate will be seeking a growth opportunity as part of a dynamic strategic marketing effort. This position reports to the Director of Advancement.
The Communications Coordinator helps develop and implement electronic and print communications, website and public relations messages for the Advancement Team. The position works closely with Development and Admissions, as well as the Academic Division Deans and the Parents Association, the Head of School and other school constituents.
- Write/design, edit, place electronic communications and public relations messages for various information and social media, including the school’s website
- Write/design edit, update print communications, including newsletters, brochures
- Maintain and manage the school’s active social media presence, including taking and posting photo stories of school life
- Manage webpage maintenance to ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories and events) is posted regularly
- Track and measure level of engagement for all communications
- Maintain media contacts (press, publications, etc.)
- Help develop annual communications strategy
- Work collaboratively with all school constituents and provide help with proofreading, editing and design as needed
- Help plan and participate in advancement events
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Experience/ability in basic graphic design, including familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
- Digital photography and editing skills
- Strong familiarity with social media communications
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
Experience and Education:
- B.A. required. M.A. preferred
- Previous non-profit experience preferred
After-school Program Assistants
Poughkeepsie day School is seeking several assistants for our after-school program. Hours are from 2:30 to 6:00pm. This is a part-time position, running daily whenever school is open.
Important qualifications, along with a genuine interest and delight in the wellbeing and happiness of children, include the ability to:
- take responsibility and work as a team
- recognize how and when to offer support and guidance
- maintain calm in periods of intense activity
- interact and communicate well with parents
Personal hobbies and skills are helpful, including: musical ability, theater experience, athletic skills, practice in any of the visual arts and crafts, etc.
Previous experience working with children is essential. The position offers excellent experience for applicants seeking a career in education.
Poughkeepsie Day School is seeking per diem substitute teachers in a variety of subjects for all three academic divisions: lower, middle and high school.
The school day runs from 8:15am to 3:15pm.
B.A. required. New York State certification preferred.
How to Apply
To express interest in posted positions and future employment* at PDS, please send a résumé and cover letter to:
Poughkeepsie Day School
Attn: Victoria Mayes, Assistant to the Head of School
260 Boardman Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
*Note: If you choose to submit an unsolicited résumé in anticipation of a position becoming available it will be kept on file for one year only.